Monday, May 19, 2014

A Gentleman's Guide --- and Annie

I'm looking at classic and current musicals as I'm thinking about structure---because I think structure is going to be the key to a fun, and therefore successful, musical.

Looking at what's on Broadway now: I thought of "A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder" because the cast was on the Tonight Show last Friday performing one of their songs, "I Don't Understand the Poor."

It's funny, but when I looked at more of it on YouTube.com, I was disappointed.

I don't want that kind of stuffy English drawing-room comedy.  And I want some real love, not having to kill 8 people who stand in your way of getting a lordship or whatever.


So then I found this medley of songs from Annie:

And I think this gives the kind of feeling I'm looking for in my story of the Colonel and his wife, in addition to showing the perfect structure for a musical.




No comments:

Post a Comment